It’s been two weeks since I turned my kitchen into a food blog! So far it has actually helped me accomplish one of my goals….cook more! But there have been some lessons along the way!
– Follow the directions. It sounds simple right? But there are times when mixing certain ingredients together before adding to the main mixture is important.
– Don’t substitute ingredients unless you know what you are doing. I made a Banana Bread (still thinking about posting it) with apple sauce. But I added apple sauce instead of sugar — big mistake! I don’t have enough experience to determine what ingredients should be substituted.
– Simple things like crust can throw off a recipe. When I made my quiche I used a refrigerated crust that needed to be placed in the pan. The problem was the pan was too big. So my crust was spread too thin. New cooks should use short-cuts whenever possible. I should have used a frozen crust.
– I have no chopping or mincing skills. I need to learn how to cut an onion or tomato. I know it would make a different in my cooking or at least it will take less time.
– Try something new, they may just like it! My kids are very picky eaters but they have been more interested in the food I cook since starting the blog. Maybe it’s because they are asking to get involved.
– Finally — Taco Night is still the number 1 “Theme” night in my house!