Christmas Peppermint Ice Cream!
This has become a family tradition for Christmas. It gets you in the holiday spirit and smells really good too. It combines my favorite holiday desserts… ice cream and candy canes! Now I’m putting those two flavors together in Christmas Peppermint Ice Cream. This is a great dessert you can get the kids to help with. Last year we ate it all in one night! And you can make it with your favorite vanilla ice cream or as a homemade treat. One of the best gifts Mark and I got for our wedding was an ice cream maker, so I made this recipe from scratch.
The ingredients are simple. Candy Canes, whole milk, heavy cream, sugar, vanilla extract and peppermint extract.
Put the whole milk, heavy cream, sugar, vanilla and peppermint extract in a mixing bowl and mix with a whisk.
Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and let churn for about 30 minutes.
In the meantime, have the kids help with crushing the candy canes. We used this mallet and a towel. It’s a good way to get out your holiday frustrations too!
Then once the ice cream is almost ready, pour in the crushed candy cane and let mix for a few more minutes.
The ice cream will look like this. The chunks of candy cane are mixed in the ice cream and give you a great crunch with every taste.
Serve the ice cream in a small bowl and sprinkle a few candy cane pieces on top for an added crunch. Serve after your Christmas Eve or Christmas dinner! It’s really yummy. And if you don’t have an ice cream maker, pick up your favorite vanilla ice cream. Let it soften just enough to get a mixing spoon through it. Transfer into a mixing bowl and add a teaspoon of peppermint extract and about 3 crushed candy canes. Once it’s completely mixed up, transfer back into it’s original container and put it back in the freezer to harden. You will be able to serve it as Peppermint Ice Cream!
- 1 cup Whole Milk, well chilled
- 3/4 cup granulated Sugar
- 2 cups Heavy Cream, well chilled
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Peppermint Extract
- 4 Candy Canes
- In a mixing bowl, combine whole milk, sugar, heavy cream, vanilla extract and peppermint extract. Mix with a whisk
- Put on the ice cream maker and pour the mixture into the freezer bowl (it comes with the maker).
- The bowl will need to be spinning while you pour.
- Churn for about 30 minutes or until it thickens like ice cream.
- Crush the candy canes and pour 3 of them into the ice cream maker for a few minutes until it's all mixed together.
- Use the remaining crushed candy cane to sprinkle on top
This is a simple recipe to liven up your vanilla ice cream. And it tastes good too. Enjoy!